Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Monday, July 20, 2015

Don't Toss the Liver

Usually I toss the liver to my dog when cutting up whole chicken. This time I cooked it in olive oil and garlic.

Apparently it is high in vitamin A, which combined with vitamin D is wonderful for mama and her growing baby. It's a densely nutritious gift to mama and baby.

The concern that liver has too much vitamin A is addressed in The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care. Sally Fallon Morell and Thomas S. Cowan, MD give us a lot to discuss on this any many, many fabulous topics.

Have you read this book? Do you eat liver - any special recipes?





For more info: Check out The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care. I like this balanced review on Informed Mama blog. Here's another. On pregnant mama's eating liver see The Weston A. Price Foundation


1 comment:

  1. Um, I'm learning, like that I might have eaten some other giblet part other than liver. Anyway, I tried calf liver in a carefully flavored dish - couldn't stand it. I bought a container of chicken livers to freeze and have one a week. I didn't mind the first few bites, but instead of growing on me - the taste increasingly repulses me. I can manage a couple bites with eggs in the morning. Anyone have a magical way to flavor the distinct taste of liver? Or else my dog is going to be very happy. Thankfully, I don't mind my daily teaspoon of cod liver oil, which contains similar nutrition. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLLNQHQ?refRID=CYXE9X6DDGARBTNB91ZF&ref_=pd_ys_c_rfy_rp_3760901_0

    ReplyDelete