Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Monday, May 18, 2015

Story from Deanna

Thank you, Deanna, for sharing the precious birth of your baby girl with us. 

My water broke at 2:30 am Easter morning, but I wasn't sure whether it broke or not because the flow wasn't steady. I wondered if I was accidentally peeing on myself even though I should have known better.

Contractions started at 10 am, and my midwife came over that evening. I dilated to 10 cm within a reasonable time (by Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning, I think), but even though I was pushing, there was no baby. We tried everything, and when my midwife would suggest going to the hospital, I would beg to try a little bit longer, but by Tuesday afternoon I had to admit that I was absolutely exhausted. I had only slept about 10 minutes since labor started and couldn't eat anything.

At the hospital, they gave me an epidural so I could sleep for a few hours before pushing again. The hypnobabies techniques I was using worked beautifully to make my contractions feel like pressure waves rather than pain, but they didn't help my legs, which had started to swell (for the first time in my pregnancy) and were really killing me. I had been on my feet almost the whole labor because I found it almost impossible to sit or lie down during contractions, so they'd had a lot of stress, and I was so happy for the epidural because my legs stopped hurting.

When they woke me up and had me start pushing again (with pitocin), the baby still wasn't coming, so the midwife in charge (no doctor -- the hospital we picked had midwives deliver the babies!) used the vacuum to help me push her out. By then, there was meconium in the water and she wasn't doing too well, so they cut the cord quickly and rushed her to the alcove (I could still see her) and suctioned out her lungs. I barely touched her with the tips of my fingers as they rushed her away, but as soon as they were done working on her (and I got stitched up from some minor tears), they put her on my chest.

We were in the car on the way home just over 24 hours later when we got called back into the hospital. They ended up keeping her for 10 days of antibiotics because her blood tested positive for Strep G (common in respiratory infections, and I had a cold). I remained calm about having her in the hospital instead of at home, but I cried when we had to turn around and go back. Fortunately, they let me room with her 24/7. In a way, it was good that we had to stay in the hospital because we had such an awful time learning how to nurse.

Now, over a month later, everything is going well.  Baby girl is a complete darling who nurses well and naps well and smiles at everyone who pays her attention.

There you have it!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment