Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Enjoying Recovery - Yes to a nice, long, hot soak!

Water. It soothed my beautiful baby within and welcomed him without. Water then comforted my body too.

I enjoyed a hot soak about every other day - daily or twice a day would have been even better! I think the warm water does wonders and sitting, relaxed and unstressed is so good for healing.

The body was made to heal - I can let it focus on it's job.

I also added Sitz bath herbs, which eased discomfort.

But where is the time for long soaks, right, with newborn to feed and laundry to wash? I say, make it a must. Eat macaroni and cheese and then take a long bath.

Has anyone offered to help? Say, "Yes, thank you. My kitchen is your kitchen - and the pile of laundry is around the corner." And when the shirts are folded differently and the whisk is put away in the wrong drawer - say, "Thank you so much."

I was pampered to have the Cowboy's mom here for three weeks doing cooking and laundry and taking our toddler on walks and giving me hugs and mending and cleaning - did I mention that I was spoiled rotten? I simply got to focus on healing and caring for my newborn. Just writing that, I'm amazing all over again with gratitude.

If you are fortunate enough to have family or friends willing to help - ask, beg, let them! Don't worry how the housework is done if it's done at all - you'll be putting everything in it's proper place soon enough.

Savor those six or so weeks. Be lazy. Just say thank you and let others manage your castle for a couple of months.

First birth, I worried about too much. Second time, even though I felt amazing within days, I didn't shoo the help away.




Want more info? Try reading a midwife's opinion about taking a nice warm bath right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment