Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Tale of Two Births PART 2

The continuation ... (catch up here). I'm grateful to Julie for sharing her beautiful story.

Two years later, we learned we were expecting baby number two. We had maternity coverage this time, so I called a recommended "more natural" OBGYN in town several of my friends had used. I wanted to try a VBAC, but I wasn't sure whether I wanted to try the homebirth route or not.

"What?" The receptionist wanted to know, "you are nine weeks along and haven't contacted a doctor yet? We'll get you in this week and you'll have to come back later in the week for your first ultrasound and then again in two weeks to meet with the doctor to go over your ultrasound."

Then I mentioned the fact that I had a c-section with my first. "Sorry, we don't do VBACs anymore." Several calls to other doctors in the area confirmed that a change in medical malpractice insurance tied their hands in VBAC practice, even when they thought it was the safest route for their patient.

One call to our previous midwife eased my growing panic. "Sure, we do VBACs at our new birth center that's near the hospital. Why don't you wait a few weeks before coming in ... that way we can hear the heartbeat at your checkup."

At forty weeks plus 11 days I went in for a checkup and found out that my contractions that day weren't Braxton-hicks.

Our second baby girl, 8 lbs. this time, entered the world late that evening at the birth center. I won't lie... after the birth, I thought, "I know why women use drugs." But I also felt a bond with women throughout the world and throughout history who go through the beautiful process of completely natural childbirth.

And our sweet little one came so peacefully. She didn't cry at all but looked at us out of big round eyes.

We're planning for another natural birth with the midwife for our next baby who is due in the summer.





Come back next Thursday when Julie talks about a few things she's learned from her experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment