Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Monday, December 1, 2014

When the Law Says No Home Midwives (PART 2)

It had become more than a financial decision. With the combination of an unfavorable law, distance, and finances in contrast to the appeal of home, we improvised.

I called the doula recommended by my friend to provide emotional and spiritual support. I studied like I was going to become a midwife and summarized what I learned for my man. I also asked his unflappable cowgirl-mom to attend the birth in the role of midwife.

The birth center flexibly provided check-ups as if I would be delivering there, even though I made it no secret that I wouldn't being paying for that part of the service. The midwives were common sense and caring, unlike the rest of the dismissive medical community that was interested to offer care only if I committed to their way of doing things.

I called a local obstetrician who is highly skilled in his role to consider providing an ultrasound or being my back up physician. The nurse was politely dismissive of the possibility of being a backup. With persistence I contacted the doctor himself who was willing for me to come in for a consultation. I appreciated his sincere desire to help, but sensed I'd be wasting my money due to the system he feels compelled to operate within. So that left the local emergency room as the backup.

I devoured books such as Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin, Special Delivery by Rahima Baldwin, Preparing for Birth with Yoga by Janet Balaskas, and Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper. I organized a notebook for use by myself and my support team with records, a birth plan, and emergency scenarios. I put together a thorough birth kit from PreciousArrows.com. And I prepared emotionally and spiritually.

Most of all, I enjoyed the process.




How have you been innovative? 

No comments:

Post a Comment