Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Cord of Life

As a young girl I recall the fear and relief when my brother was born with the cord around his neck and lived. Recently, I realized that I was still haunted by this fear as the birth of my second nears. So, nervously, I looked up the research. I learned that my fear was unfounded.

Where does such fright come from when baby does not breath through the lungs anyway?

Perhaps it's because for us who take in a breath, something around the neck squeezing the airway is a real danger. Not so for baby, who receives oxygenated blood through the umbilical cord. Additionally the well-designed cord can take the typical amount of pressure and twisting during pregnancy and birth.

Unfortunately, in an understandable desire to provide grieving parents with an answer, a doctor may blame the umbilical cord, when the honest answer would have been, "I don't know." The unintended consequence of this misdiagnoses is irrational fear.

I'm assured by the evidence:
The cord is life-giving.
The cord is well-designed.

I have no reason to fear my baby's amazing umbilical cord - only to marvel at it's life-giving design.






Want more info? Try 9 Surprising Facts About the Cord around the Baby's Neck or Nuchal Cords: the Perfect Scapegoat

No comments:

Post a Comment