Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world. --John Milton

Monday, October 27, 2014

Birth is All of Me

Birth is whole. Body, mind, heart, and spirit.

Even if I pretend that giving birth is spiritually about the same as digesting dinner, my spirit and mind and heart will be affected.

So a wise approach is to prepare for birth not only physically by eating well and exercising, but also to prepare mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

This may include intentionally forgiving after a vivid dream opens deep wounds. Or it can mean readying my mind by being knowledgeable about all birthing options.

During my first pregnancy I was strict with my diet, but understood little of emotional preparedness. This time I've slacked a little on eating, yet intentionally addressed some fears and unforgiveness.

Not only is this holistic awareness healthy, it's amazing. As a simple analogy - I can live though a beautiful spring day, or I can live a beautiful spring day.

My baby's coming one way or another. But the more alert I am along the journey, the more I experience - the more all of me experiences. I get to live not only pain, but also pleasure; not only fear, but also love; not only disappointment, but also joy.

I get to live wholly in the moment. The more I do, the more all of me benefits - the more my baby wholly benefits.

What helps you prepare for birth?




Want more info? Try Preparing for Birth with Yoga by Janet Balaskas or http://www.motherrisingbirth.com/ from a holistic doula. This post made me laugh and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment